Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

Hold on there!

At 02:27 AM 7/14/98 +0900, Masataka Ohta wrote:

>> Like it or not, (see Karl Auerbach's analysis at
>> http://www.cavebear.com/nsf-dns/ ) has given credence to the
>> notion that the .com database is proprietary information.
>
>.com database with contact information in SOA is not proprietary
>to NSI nor USG and can be zone-transfered to everywhere.
>
>> It is important to remember that the net is edge-controlled,
>> although the phenomena of inertia gives it the appearance of
>> central control.
>
>That why the WP must be ignored.

I thought *I* was the renegade here <grin>

Were you a lurker on the DOMAIN-POLICY lists? It doesn't appear so. During
the last few months, I believe that most of us here, and on the open-rsc
list, sort of came to the understanding that, for DNS entries, we needed a
clearing house. A single point of reference where we could check for name
conflicts. If you want, I could go into the entire line of reasoning here,
but it is also available on the open-rsc archives and the DOMAIN-POLICY
archives.

This is the main reason that MHSC is participating in these discussions and
why we want to see a reasonable outcome. Of course, our definition of
reasonable is our own opinion <grin>.

The gist of it is;

1) Completely open TLD registrations. No more restrictions!

2) Distributed root-servers, a la GRS. Each TLD owner being directly
responsible for their own root-server for that TLD. The Entity would then
only have to carry references to the TLD root-servers. No, you don't have
to go back to hosts files <hmph>.

3) The Entity maintains a whois server for all TLDs and an API that allows
a TLD registry to check for duplication/conflicts.

4) Become a central negotiator/mediator for TLD conflicts.

5) All TLDs should be paid-up at time of activation, no credit.
(anti-piracy policy)

6) If SLD registry for the TLD, along with an active charter, is not
operational within 90 days, the TLD is deactivated. (another anti-piracy
policy, use it or lose it, no refunds)

MHSC would be happy to pay reasonable fees ($100US/year plus 10% of SLD
registry fees?) for such a service. We would even contribute working code.
We might even open-source code for such a SLD registry. Then again, maybe
we'll sell it <grin>.

After many years, and goal-posts that moved so much we thought they were
soccer-forwards, we're a little tired of waiting. We see a business need
for some additional TLDs. No, we are not in the mood to share our complete
business plans. The TLD's we need will work fine if semi-private. Our
customers will simply be told to use our name-servers and GRS-roots. After
all, they only have to find each other. MHSC.NET will resolve them to the
Internet. Since this would be a secure system, such an architecture works
out better anyway.

However, we would rather do this openly, and straight-forward. There is
value-add if this new TLD were visible by the rest of the Internet, via the
Entity's root-servers. We think there is value-add, to the Internet at
large, for the (above mentioned) six features were added to the Entity.

Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC
(RM993)
President and CEO.
e-mail:        <mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com>mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com
Web-pages:    <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Web-site:        <http://www.mhsc.com>http://www.mhsc.com
Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill, CA
Note: Statements made in this message do not
         necessarily reflect the  position of MHSC. All
         forcasts and projections are to be considered
         as forward-looking and presume conditions which
         may not be referenced herein.