Re: Tired of Waiting

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
To: Christopher Ambler <cambler@iodesign.com>
Cc: domain-policy@open-rsc.org <domain-policy@open-rsc.org>; Richard J.
Sexton <richard@sexton.com>; List@giaw.org <List@giaw.org>; ietf@ietf.org
<ietf@ietf.org>; comments@iana.org <comments@iana.org>;
discussion-draft@giaw.org <discussion-draft@giaw.org>;
domain-policy@open-rsc.org <domain-policy@open-rsc.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

>At 02:29 PM 7/14/98 -0700, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>>If CORE turns into a flake, the .firm names that they wanted to sell
>
>Chris, there is a fundamental difference between a private, for-profit
>entity going flakey, versus having that happen with a public,
>not-for-profit, with independent public oversight.
>
>The incentives and, more importantly, the controls are completely
>different.  They don't exist for the former, whereas they are extensive for
>the latter.

Things can always change...

@@@@ http://www.sunworld.com/swol-07-1998/swol-07-bind.html?070898a

BIND developer going commercial
"The ISC's new executive director, David Conrad, formerly with APNIC,
says that while charging for BIND is not even "within the realm of
discussion
at this point," the way BIND development is bankrolled is about to change.
"Right now the ISC is essentially unviable," he says, "and I see my role as
trying to turn it into a viable organization."
"Instead of going for a small number of very large bucks," says Conrad,
"we'll go for a large number of very small bucks."

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com