Information Needed

Hello,
I need some information on how ip addresses are structured to reflect the country of their
origin.  For example In Canada where I am located there are alot of 209.x.x.x addresses in use.  Im wondering if this is because a larger backbone here own's this entire netblock or because 209 is a country code for Canada, thus making it easier to trace an ip's origin country.  If there is documentation on the structure of ip addressing in relation to geographical location and if this information is publicly accessable, I would be very interested in reading up on it. I think it would be fantastic if there were a database somewhere where users could track ip addresses without having to play a guessing game with the tracert command.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Sincerely
Paul Kolbuc.