re: Jewsforjesus.org and registration requirements

Prof. Mueller:

Never mind the part where you attribute an argument to me which I didn't
make so that you can masterfully deflate it.  The reference to the
licensing requirements of radio and tv were merely mentioned to debunk the
statement that registration requirments would be unprecedented in any media
nad a "prior restraint."

Instead, educate us as to how we can avoid repeating history.  Tell us
about the radio interference problems that arose before regulation (which
problems I understand occured to some extent with the telegraph and tv, as
well), and which interference problems were used as a justification for
various regulatory Acts.  How can today's Internet stakeholders avoid the
same type of self-destructive behavior?  I am much more interested in your
views on the history of communications regulation than in your
interpretation of trademark law.

P.S. Regarding your identification with the French Revolutionaries, I
respectfully suggest that a reign of terror and then Napoleon is not an
attractive model unless you see yourself as Napoleon.

>Ouch. Are you sure you want to use this analogy? If so, you are
reinforcing the
>worst fears of those of us who have put themselves against the claims of the
>trademark interests in domain names. What we fear is precisely that domain
name
>registration will become like licensing! That all sorts of regulations
>regarding
>conduct, content, and god knows what else will become attached to the
>acquisition of a domain name, and the freedom and openness of the Internet
will
>suffer irretrievable damage. Are you sure you want to go down that path?
>
>Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:
>
>> That is not correct.  In order to obtain a radio license or television
>> station license, the licensee has to submit extensive information and must
>> submit to various requirements (i.e. community service) in order to retain
>> the license (note how the spectrum allocation is a license and not a
grant).