ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-guide]

General Comments to the DAG

  • To: <3gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: General Comments to the DAG
  • From: "Adam Toronto" <torontoadam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:35:03 -0700

To whom it may concern,

I write to compel you to act and implement new top-level domain names
quickly. I see a great opportunity for the internet to bring about the end
of this global economic crisis and believe that expansion of the internet
may be the force to encourage greater entrepreneurialism and commerce.  The
internet is already the venue of choice for many upstart businesses;
however, with ".com" as the top-level domain that the online community
defaults to, those ".com" names have become severely limited or
prohibitively expensive.

Aside from the economic opportunity the next iteration of the internet would
provide, opening the internet to new TLDs should make the internet a safer
place. I believe the added benefit of TLDs is the domain oversight and
validation components that are currently features of top-level domains like
".edu" and ".mil." The knowledge that the site you are on is endorsed by the
top-level domain registrar is a safety and security comfort which internet
users will rapidly adopt and demand for their online banking, shopping, and
other interactions where they must submit personal information.

Because the initial transition from a ".com" dominated internet to one of
equitable use of more top-level domain names will probably require some time
and changes in internet consumer behavior and an evolution of search
algorithms, your organization should institute this transition as soon as
possible. I understand that you have begun this effort but that it is
stalled in redundant DAG commentary periods. I hope that you are intent on
resolving that issue.

Adam Toronto