ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] NeuStar

  • To: Siavash Shahshahani <shahshah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] NeuStar
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:19:02 -0400 (EDT)

Even at the present price ($1500 for WIPO - a subsidized intergovernmental
organization), I understand that there's little appeal for lawyers and law
firms to get involved. We have had trouble attracting law firms inside our
country to do DRP for our ccTLD at lower prices. This all hurts  the
'little guy' for whom $1500 is meaningful. Perhaps our mandate as ALAC
could include pushing for the creation of public agencies that would
perform this function for those who can't afford it.

Assuming that we agree that the URDP is the right way to deal with domain disputes, which I don't, it might make sense to make it a two-stage process.

The first stage is purely administrative and costs maybe $50 or $100. The complainant sends in his complaint, the respondent sends in his response. If there's no response, the complainant wins by default. I get the impresion this would dispose of half of the complaints immediately.

Once there are documents from both sides, if the complainant wants to get a decision, then he pays his $1500 and it goes to a lawyer.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor