ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[alac] Fwd: NomCom - delegates for 2007

• To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Fwd: NomCom - delegates for 2007
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:08:27 -0700

I trust Adam and would bow to his recommendation that we reappoint our candidates now, allowing them to be in place by the Sao Paulo meeting. This seems sensible. Read all below.

Bret

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 3, 2006 10:11:21 PM PDT
To: r.gaetano@xxxxxxxx, bret@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx
Subject: NomCom - delegates for 2007

Dear Roberto, Bret:

About your email <http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg02290.html> and <http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg02291.html>

2 weeks ago Annette copied email from Donna Austin/George Sadowsky to the ALAC list asking ALAC to begin a process of selecting delegates for the 2007 NomCom <http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/ msg02247.html>. It is hoped the 2007 NomCom will be able to meet in Sao Paulo immediately after the 2006 ICANN annual general meeting.

While I understand your concerns, raising what could be a significant delay to the process two weeks on is a bit of a problem. The Sao Paulo meeting starts December 2. The NomCom will most likely meet on December 8-9 (this is tentative, waiting for the new 2007 NomCom chair to be appointed, ultimately, the meeting will be that person's decision, not George's or mine.) Whoever ALAC selects will need to buy an air ticket, some will need a visa.

Last year it took ALAC over 3 months to find delegates. ALAC members from Asia/Pacific, Africa and North America joined after the NomCom's first teleconference and missed weeks of online discussion. At least two the delegates were appointed too late to be able to make it to the ICANN meeting in Wellington and missed the first face-to-face meeting of NomCom. ALAC does its own interests and the interests of users it attempts to represent no good by these delays. It also causes additional work for the delegates themselves and other members of the NomCom. We are all volunteers.

Of the four 2006 NomCom members who are eligible to serve again, Mohamed El Fatih El Tigani Ali, Madan Rao and Michael Froomkin will need visas for Brazil (as a German citizen Wolfgang Kleinwächter should be OK).

As Associate Chair of the 2006 NomCom I can assure you all four were exemplary members of the committee. They represented the ALAC well.

Roberto: you are right, selecting four now will mean four new people joining in 2008 and that learning experience will be lost. Note there will be a review of NomCom (hopefully starting soon), it will conclude before the 2008 NomCom is selected. It may be a mistake to assume the same process will continue and any holdovers from this year will have a similar process to join once the review is complete. Situations change, perhaps they would be unwilling to serve in a year?

Bret: ALAC select five of 23 (this year 22) NomCom members. Holding the five responsible for the slate makes little sense.

What you could do if you get the four back for another year is hold a de-briefing while in Sao Paulo. ALAC is (rightly) concerned about the lack of transparency in the NomCom process, but there are things you can do to help this if only you would try (just as you could have helped your delegates this year by meeting with them and discussing candidate recruitment, but I understand the time allocated for that on the Marrakech agenda was taken up by 3 hours of discussion about membership of the President's Strategy Committee. Ever the ALAC!)

In practical terms to wait until the selected nominees are announced would be too late. NomCom hopes to announce by October 31, but our requirement under the bylaws is one month before the Annual General Meeting to be held on December 8. NomCom wants to announce as early as possible, the people selected also need time to make their travel arrangements and to prepare for their new positions. But processes such as due diligence are out of the NomCom's direct control (i.e. we can't be sure there won't be issues that need further time to check) so cannot guarantee the date. What I'm saying is any date after October 31 would probably be too late.

I do understand your concerns, but believe the chance to get good, experienced people into the 2007 NomCom process is far more important.

Roberto: You also mentioned Vittorio's concern that as an interim ALAC member (board appointed) Sebastian may not be eligible to serve on the NomCom <http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/ msg02289.html> Please note that for as long as their has been a NomCom GNSO Council members have served on it. This year Ken Stubbs, Lucy Nichols, Tony Harris are members. I am not an expert on the bylaws, but I see no difference between GNSO and ALAC in this regard. However, I have suggested to Annette that she could check this quite easily with John Jeffrey and Dan Halloran.

There is nothing in this email that cannot be shared with others, either on the private or public ALAC lists.

Thanks,

Adam

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy