ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] next Nom Com

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] next Nom Com
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 08:47:23 +0200

Roberto Gaetano ha scritto:
When I first read this thread, my instinctive answer was: "Of course
Vittorio is right, it will work both ways, incompatibility is
incompatibility, and is a symmetrical relationship".
However, on second thoughts, I think that Wendy is right. The rationale is,
I think, that what the Bylaws try to prevent is that participation to NomCom
provides unduly advantage to candidates to positions that are populated by
NomCom. However, the reverse is not considered dangerous.
We might have different opinions on what should be the case, but the
language seems pretty clear to me. But, IANAL, so I might be wrong. Which
would mean that I have been wrong twice on a single subject!

Actually, I've checked with reliable sources and it seems that while other people have raised my point, the current official interpretation is Wendy's one, up to the point that there are GNSO Council members serving on this year's Nomcom. This matter is flagged for consideration in the upcoming NomCom review, but for this year there is not any incompatibility between ALAC and Nomcom if you were appointed to the ALAC first.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...