ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Why there are chronic delays on mail to the ICANN ALAC list

  • To: "'Jean Armour Polly'" <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>, <kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Why there are chronic delays on mail to the ICANN ALAC list
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:35:56 +0200

I am always puzzled when a few people make assumptions about how everybody
else is using a specific tool, and therefore I would like to provide another
opinion, from the "third world" in terms of use of technology (myself!), on
the email issue.

For a number of reasons that are not worthed discussing here, my preferred
way of working is asynchronous. I.e., I connect, synchronize my email, read
and answer when I can, and reconnect to send what I wrote and get the new
mail.
The delay is therefore for me such a big deal, that I have not even noticed
it until this thread was brought up ;>).

Of course, if the majority of ALAC wants to have a change in the way email
is managed, I am sure that Kent will accommodate it. Personally, I wonder
whether we should make a distinction among the different mailing lists, like
the internal ALAC at one end of the spectrum, which is a closed list and
possibly higher needs for fast communication, and the als@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at
the other end, where there is a large amount of spam and definitively no
need for speed (but still the need for completeness of the addressee list).

Anyway, looking at how technology-savy people in my family (essentially my
teenage daughters) use the net, I wonder whether we are not mixing email
with instant messaging. My daughters are not generally expecting to have a
fast return on their emails, but when they need to communicate in real time
they use a different tool. I wonder whether this should not be the best
approach for us as well.

Cheers,
Roberto Gaetano
ALAC