ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] FW: ICANN Seeks Community Input on the Development of Transparency and Accountability Management Operating Principles

  • To: "'Vittorio Bertola'" <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bret Fausett'" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] FW: ICANN Seeks Community Input on the Development of Transparency and Accountability Management Operating Principles
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:35:56 +0200

It looks ridiculous indeed.
However, having a little insight in the Board's approaches, I would like to
provide a different interpretation.
Although the Board knows perfectly well some of the things it should do to
become more transparent and accountable (as a matter of fact several Board
members are repeating it whenever they can), the problem is that to take
into account only suggestions that have been provided not through a well
defined and publicized procedure can be itself a non-transparent way to
conduct business.
If, to put it simply, the Board was deciding to act on the basis of the
comments historically provided by the community, it would be exposed to the
criticism that some, had they known that their opinion would have been taken
into account, would have commented and provided a different perspective.

In other words, this hilarious action is the direct consequence of the need
to follow its own procedures.
Anyway, I think that we should provide, as Vittorio suggests, our own
statement, even if it repeats what we have already said.

Regards,
Roberto Gaetano
ALAC
ICANN Board Liaison