ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Ballot for a new BC Charter -- concerns about moving to a vote/with only a 7 day window for the vote

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Ballot for a new BC Charter -- concerns about moving to a vote/with only a 7 day window for the vote
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:20:16 -0400

I have two urgent questions about the proposed changes to the BC Charter, which
are addressed to the three officers.
First, my statement of concern:  I am surprised to see that this version is
presented for a vote, and also a vote that is one half the normal time of
discussion/voting. Our normal vote period is 14 days.
I fully appreciate that everyone is pressed for time and resources. However, it
is distressing to see a vote called for a charter draft that most who have been
actively participating, expected to be a discussion draft, for final changes.
That was certainly what was the 'outcome' of the last BC call, according to my
notes and understanding. While I have not had a chance to fully review the
proposed draft, I am concerned about how to propose the changes that may still
be needed.  It seems to me unfair to present this draft as an open vote,
without honoring the expectations of those who are actively engaging on
providing input, to make further proposed changes in the draft.
I have taken a look at one or two of the areas that I had originally objected
to as 'subjective' and subject to interpretation, and based on this initial
'quick look', I see significant problems still remain in some areas:
See 8.2.4, which discusses the right of the list administrator directly, or
upon the request of one member of the Executive Committee to challenge or even
suspend a member for 14 days, as the "administrator sees fit". The range of
items that could lead to suspension include content that is repetitive or goes
beyond relevant information or is overly lengthy.
Item 8.2.5 addresses elections and seems to suggest that there is a 'returning
officer' for the election. This seems to be problemmatic, since the officers
are themselves subject to election. What is needed is a factual description of
the steps that are needed to be undertaken.
Item 15. This is now redrafted to propose that the previous officers will
continue as caretakers to hold the new elections for the new executive
committee. This is new, and probably well meant, but presents some challenges.
If any of the previous officers are standing for election for new posts, they
need to completely recuse themselves from involvement, and other previous
officers can be seconded to fulfill such roles in the interim.
Question to the Officers: Can the officers advise of how changes can be
submitted to the present draft version? Question to the BC Members: Should we
be calling for a 'provisional' charter, until we are able to work through the
changes that are the significant variance points?

I do want to express my appreciation for the mark up of this version of the
DRAFT BC Charter.  However, I had also asked for the marked up version for the
previous draft, when all the substantive changes were added in. It would still
have been helpful to see how much additional language was added to the original
charter. Otherwise, we are left to do a line by line 'hand' comparison.
Short voting period for something this important to the future of the BC: I am
surprised to see this, especially since so many of the BC members are
associations who need to take consultation with their own members. This time
frame seems quite problematic.
I understand that the Officers are noting that the Board wishes to have
approved charters by Seoul. But, I am sure that it will not be well received if
the charter is approved by some members, and openly opposed by others. There
has to be a better approach.

Our goal should be to have a BC Charter that has wide understanding, and broad
support from the members. If we are able to remove subjectivity from the
language throughout, and establish a stable and predictable, and neutral basis
to the way that decisions are made, and then interpreted, we will have a
charter that will help us to attract other associations and companies as
members.  I

I have a request as well for more information which I understand that the
Officers have: I understand that ICANN staff provided a minimally marked up
version of a Charter, based on the existing charter, quite some time ago, to
the BC officers. I would ask that the Officers provide that draft and all
relevant correspondence with staff to the full BC membership as 'background
resources'.  That might be helpful to determine what language can be reverted
to, if it is not possible to reach agreement on some necessary changes.
I will continue my review of the new version of the BC Charter, and will post
further comments later.
Marilyn Cade