ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Day 00 - Saturday: Informal BC meetings/update on the discussion of the elections of the Policy Chair/Vice Chairs

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>, <bclist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Day 00 - Saturday: Informal BC meetings/update on the discussion of the elections of the Policy Chair/Vice Chairs
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 00:55:54 -0400

I don't recall that there is a separately designated list just for those who
are attending Seoul ICANN, or who opted in for more detailed feedback. If there
is, I suggest that we can take up administrative coordination 'off the full BC'
list, however, this email is also an update to those who can't be here in
person regarding the present status of election of the Policy Chair and Vice
Chairs.
Yes to the BAR gathering today for an hour. and yes to tomorrow p.m.
I agree that having informal gatherings on the Saturday and Sunday are
extremely helpful to the sharing of information within the BC members and of
course, giving feedback and guidance to councilors and officers on topics so
that they are kept updated and supported by the membership in what is a very
heavy duty work time for all of us.
The time zone differences to most of our BC members not here make
communications in 'real time' extremely challenging for all.
As a quick update to the list, having not seen any other updates, I'll just
post to the BC membership overall that the discussions with who will be vice
chair from the "houses", and who is the chair candidate(s) for the GNSO Policy
Council chair.
The 'question and answer' exchanges with the two candidates for GNSO Policy
Chair is underway now.
Early today, there was a House meeting at 9 a.m. that was open. Several BC
members learned about the meeting and came along to it, so there will be others
who will undoubtedly post to the list to share insights, and information.

Outcome from that meeting:
First, quickly, from the meeting that took place at 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. today,
Olga emerged as the Non Contracted House candidate for the Chair of the GNSO
Policy Council and Chuck emerged as the candidate from the Contracted parties
house.
The contracted chairs house put forward Stephan as their house vice chair.
They therefore have a firm V.C. already elected.
The non contracted house put Olga forward as the "Interim Vice Chair", in the
event she isn't elected as the Chair. If she is elected as the Chair, then the
general "informal" agreement seems to be to support Zahid Jamil as a candidate
for the Vice Chair of the House, should Olga be elected as chair of the Policy
Council.
In the informal, closed discussions within the House, exceptionally effectively
chaired by Steve Metalitz this a.m. in an 'ad hoc' huddle that I proposed so
that all members voices could be heard, the ISPs; the IPC and the BC supported
Chuck as chair, and Olga as Vice Chair [but supported as well that Olga would
be the House Chair candidate].
I know that all of us had many reservations about the Board's decision to force
the creation of "Houses". I am pleased to report that the working tone between
the Stakeholder Groups  within the Non Commercial House was exceptionally
cordial and collaborative.  The non commercial users in the Stakeholder group
with us [commercial users] will have a new challenge as they absorb the new
appointed reps made by the Board.
Communications that are honest and thoughtful throughout this process of
building the new processes will continue to be extremely important. It has been
very helpful to have as many BC members in attendance, since that builds
visible recognition and interpersonal exchanges at a critical 'building block'
period.  I don't pretend that this will be easy, but the reality is that not
only are we 'house mates', it might even be that we are 'room mates'.  One
always wants pleasant relationships with the 'neighbors' when one lives in a
small multi tenant dwelling!
Best regards from the first half day in Seoul.
Don't panic:  It is not my intent to blog about all meetings, but this
discussion about the election of Chair/Vice Chairs is of relevance to all BC
members.

Marilyn