ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Variable Pricing = Unlawful Taking

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Variable Pricing = Unlawful Taking
  • From: SteveMorsaRealty@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:39:31 EDT

The variable pricing provision/s of the proposed new .biz, .info, and .org
extensions; once implemented, would likely be deemed, in the very least, an
unlawful taking of another's property; and further, doing so without
compensation
commensurate with the value of the property taking.

It is akin to a government agency (or "commercial" operation operating under
a government contract/license, as ICANN may reasonably be characterized as
doing) invoking Eminent Domain. If the registries wish to take away what really
amounts to people's and companies' homes and commerical properties on the
Internet ("taking" also includes the reduction in value of an asset; which will
obviously occur in the event of huge registration/renewal fee increases) they
need to pay full value for doing so.

I express this information and viewpoint with you even though the effect on
myself and my company would be negligable; as I own no .biz or .info domains
and only a few .org domains. In fact, if anything, huge fee increases for .org,
.biz, and .info domains would only serve to raise the value of my .com domains
to even higher levels.

But wrong is wrong; even if trying to "fix" the wrong negatively impacts you
or your company.

To hurt current and future users of these TLDs is wrong.

Variable pricing is wrong. Both morally and legally.

Thank you for your time; and careful review and consideration; of this
dangerous proposal.

Steve Morsa
Steve Morsa Realty
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360