ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15]

Comments on CCWG-Accountability

  • To: "comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on CCWG-Accountability
  • From: "Ilay Yilmaz (ELIG)" <ilay.yilmaz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:42:44 +0000

Dear Sir/Madam,

By way of introduction, I am one of the partners at ELIG, Attorneys-at-Law; a
leading law firm with 60 lawyers in Istanbul, Turkey. As per David Olive's
request, i.e. ICANN Vice President of Policy Development in Turkey, we submit
our comments on CCWG-Accountability to you.

It appears that an independent, multi-stakeholder management structure will be
rewarding for ICANN accountability. We believe that the plan drawn therein
would also be helpful for internet governance, by way of providing transparent
accountability mechanisms for ICANN.

As you already know, legislative procedures and decision making procedures are
hardly keeping up with the technological developments. In CCWG's proposal, it
appears that the multi-stakeholder structured management will have a word in
ICANN bylaws. Therefore, the report may also include a detailed information on
legislative procedures for the amendment and enacting of ICANN by-laws, in
order to make the decision making process become more transparent. For example,
there is a distinction between "fundamental bylaws" and secondary bylaws of
ICANN and the amendment/enactment procedures of fundamental bylaws appear to be
more difficult than the procedures to amend/enact secondary bylaws (Please
refer to page 34 of the report at the URL address
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ccwg-draft-2-proposal-work-stream-1-recs-03aug15-en.pdf).
 As far as we can see from the report, public comment participants may also
conceive of other contingencies and risks beyond the stress tests identified by
the report. In other words, a multi-stakeholder community would be extremely
helpful. However, the deadlocks of the legislative procedures during the
amendment/enactment of bylaws, may also be pointed out as a stress test. We
believe that it would be helpful to also explain the details of the legislation
procedures in case of a deadlock during the amendment/enactment of a bylaw.

We hope our foregoing comments enrich the process and proposal.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Av. İlay Yılmaz
Partner
ELIG, Attorneys-at-Law
Çitlenbik Sokak, No:12
Yıldız Mahallesi 34349
Beşiktaş, İstanbul
Tel : + 90 212 327 17 24
Faks: + 90 212 327 17 25
www.elig.com<http://www.elig.com/>

Disclaimer: This e-mail message and its attachments are confidential. The
message and/or its attachments may also contain the legal advice of an
independent attorney to a client. The contents may therefore be privileged or
otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. The message
and any attachments are intended only for the individual(s) or entity named
above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. Reading,
copying or otherwise, in any way, disclosing or using them is strictly
prohibited, and such act may amount to a violation of fundamental rights of the
sender or the recipient. All rights of the sender under Article 36 of the Law
on Advocacy No. 1136 are also reserved. All messages sent to and from ELIG may
be monitored at any time to ensure compliance with law or applicable firm
policies or to protect business interests. E-mail messages are not a secure
method of information transmission and they cannot be guaranteed to be accurate
or virus free as they can be intercepted, amended or deleted. Any and all
persons communicating with ELIG via e-mail are deemed to accept these risks. If
you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use, disclose,
publish or disseminate the contents of this message or its attachments to third
parties. Any unintended recipient of this message should kindly delete this
e-mail and any copies thereof, after notifying the sender that this e-mail
message is obtained in error.

İşbu elektronik posta iletisi ve ekleri gizlidir. İleti ve/veya ekleri bağımsız
avukatın müvekkiline verdiği bir hukuki görüşü içerebilir. İletinin içeriği bu
sebeple kişiye özel olabilir yahut çalışma ürünü gizliliği veya hukuki kurallar
çerçevesinde korumadan yararlanmakta olabilir. İşbu elektronik posta iletisi ve
ekleri yalnızca yukarıda adı belirtilen kişiye, kişilere veya kurumlara ve işbu
iletiyi alma konusunda özel olarak yetkilendirilmiş olan diğer kişilere
özeldir. Söz konusu içerikleri okumak, kopyalamak veya diğer herhangi bir
şekilde ifşa etmek veya kullanmak kesinlikle yasaktır ve böyle bir davranış,
gönderen veya gönderilenin temel haklarının ihlaline sebebiyet verebilir.
Gönderenin 1136 Sayılı Avukatlık Kanunu'nun 36. maddesi uyarınca sahip olduğu
haklar saklıdır. ELİG'den gönderilen veya ELİG'e gönderilen tüm iletiler hukuka
veya firma politikalarına uygunluğun sağlanması veya iş menfaatlerinin
korunması amacıyla her zaman denetlenebilir. Elektronik posta iletileri güvenli
bir bilgi aktarım yolu değildir, bunların doğru veya virüsten arındırılmış
olmalarına ilişkin bir güvence verilemez, zira bunlar durdurulabilirler,
değiştirilebilirler veya silinebilirler. ELİG ile elektronik posta yoluyla
iletişim kuran herkes bu riskleri kabul etmiş sayılır. Muhatabı değilseniz
lütfen işbu yazışmanın içeriğini okumayınız, kopyalamayınız, kullanmayınız,
başkalarına ifşa etmeyiniz, yayımlamayınız veya dağıtmayınız. Muhatabı
olmaksızın işbu e-posta iletisini alan kimsenin iletiyi yanlışlıkla aldığı
konusunda göndereni bilgilendirdikten sonra e-posta iletisini ve tüm
kopyalarını silmesini rica ederiz.