ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Keep Domain Privacy as it is

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Keep Domain Privacy as it is
  • From: Aaron <drizzt321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 10:56:03 -0700

The possible change to Domain Privacy proxy services which will force it to
be unavailable to be used by registrants if the domain is used
"commercially" is a horrible idea. A legally valid subpoena can be used in
legal situations, while still giving the registrant a way to remain
anonymous if he or she so desires while fighting the subpoena.

Forced un-masking of "commercial use" domains is so ambiguous it will be
abused by all sorts of entities seeking to punish people for simply saying
things they don't like. This is not consistent with the ideals of a Free
and Open Internet, nor the way it's been run for many, many years. There is
no need that I can see for this, and much harm for many individuals around
the world.

So, the feedback from me is, leave the system as it is. Don't change
anything about the domain privacy proxy system. No need.

--Aaron