ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Statement of Interest - IDN WG Group

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Statement of Interest - IDN WG Group
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 05:29:06 -0800

Dear WG members,

Here is my statement of interest for the GNSO IDN WG

Sophia Bekele Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

I represent a California based, privately held company, CBS Enterprise
Group, which is engaged in international business.   As part of its
portfolio  of services, the company provides systems integration services
through CBS International, which delivers domain registration, web
hosting and email services to end users via a reseller, agreement with
registrars.  Less than 10% of CBS's business is derived from these
services.

In my personal capacity, I do not have any  of my moneys, invested in
companies that are in the registrar businesses.  I do not believe that
any activities  of the Council or ICANN could have a material effect on
the work I do at CBS International.

I am interested in the issues of IDN.  My individual perspective has
always been and I have been vocal during meetings within the GNSO and the
main board  to create a process of dialog for the various voices via a
working group that is represented by a larger constituency as well as the
Internet community at large;  This, I am glad to see has resulted in the
current working group we have launched successfully.

As a technologist by formal training and professional experience, I can
comprehend the issues considered necessary by the technical community,
andas an end user and someone who understands the needs of countries that
use scripts other than Latin scripts, I also, appreciate the broader
perspective
required by the Internet end-user community.
http://icannwiki.org/Sophia_Bekele

Kind regards,
Sophia