ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Statement of Interest

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Statement of Interest
  • From: "Tan, William" <William.Tan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:17:17 -0400

Dear WG members,

I lead the IDN techno-policy efforts at NeuStar, Inc. NeuStar is a neutral third party provider to the telecommunication industry. NeuStar acts as the global Registry for the .BIZ and .US TLDs and gateways for CN and TW. NeuStar also provides back end registry operations for .TRAVEL. We currently support IDN registrations within .BIZ for 6 languages: Danish, German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish. In the near future, we will also support Japanese and Chinese (with bundling support) in the registry.

NeuStar is committed to promoting equal access to the Internet across all languages, cultures and regions. We would be interested to participate in operating the back end registry for new IDN TLDs.

My involvement with IDN and Unicode dates back to 2001 through participation in the IETF IDN WG, application development of Mozilla IDN support and ISC EchIDNA, as well as the evangelization of IDNs by creating IDNSearch.net. The eventual success of IDNs to break down language and cultural barriers is a primary, personal goal of mine.

I am not affiliated with any other registry or ICANN-Accredited Registrar.

Best regards,

=wil