ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space
  • From: Cary Karp <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:54:30 +0100

Quoting Yoav:

> I really think that since the current situation of sponsored gTLD is
> that there is no one definition of what is, or what should be
> regarded as a sponsoring organization, there should be no special
> treatment for sponsored gTLDs in the IDN world.

If it is not possible to provide a single categorical definition of
sponsorship, there is no basis for categorical statements about how
sTLDs may or may not participate in the internationalization of the
name space. This notwithstanding, I would suggest that ICANN's
contractual recognition of a Sponsoring Organization provides a fully
applicable -- if not outright tautological -- working definition of
that concept.

If it would help this discussion for the Registry Constituency to
develop the position statement suggested in:

        http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-idn-wg/msg00181.html

I will gladly set that process in motion.

/Cary