ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Item 4.2.2 - Subbiah

  • To: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Item 4.2.2 - Subbiah
  • From: subbiah <subbiah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:47:03 -0800

Let me clarify,

My own goal was first of all to expand on an existing "Alterniave View" that document alraedy had that gives goverments some responsibilty with gTLD applications, to be excluded to langauge community broadly. If that was not possible, to then suggest an additional Alternate View in parallel to those for a county for a langaueg group. Let me stess "Alternate View"

Next, I don't think either Alternate View (the original for country's) nor the one I proposed for langauge community, suggested allowing ICANN to not consider any application that has not first been reviewed and approved by a country or a language community. I see no issue here.

Cheers

Mark McFadden wrote:

Comments inline:

From Ram:
If the goal is to ensure that local language authorities/communities voices
are heard, our current draft document already address it adequately - by
stating that for all new IDN gTLD applications, ICANN should consult these
authorities/communities.

Mark McFadden:
I strongly believe that the existing draft stresses the importance of local
language authorities and voices.  I do not believe that our draft should
create or propose entirely new organizations to do this review.  Instead,
the process should allow and enable ICANN to identify and consult the
community.  Solving the problem of the language disapora is not within the
scope of ICANN's limited technical coordination remit.  I can't see any
realistic or reliable mechanism to ensure that all and any community (for
instance, the excellent example of Tamil) could be engaged in a meaningful
way to discuss the merits of a IDN TLD application.

From Ram:
If the goal is to ensure that ICANN must not even consider any application
that has not first been "blessed" by a language community, then this is a
new topic that needs new discussion, rather than amend an existing topic
that already has some broad support to it.

From Mark:
I hope this is not the intent of the IDN WG.  I'm strongly against the
notion of not allowing ICANN to consider any application that has not first
been reviewed and approved by a (undefined and amorphous) "language
community."

Thanks.

amrk

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.413 / Virus Database: 268.18.13/726 - Release Date: 3/18/2007