ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5

  • To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5
  • From: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:41:15 -0400

Dear WG Members,

Currently, 4.1.5 is a Support statement.  I wonder if there are significant
opposing views to this statement, or if we have the willingness to elevate
this "Distance to ASCII" statement to an Agreement?

Although there are many reasons for an IDN gTLD application, arguably the
biggest one is to allow those communities where traditional ASCII
representations, and/or alphabetized representations are inadequate for
domain name labels, are allowed a way to represent their languages online.
We know that there are only a few remaining barriers to achieving this.
Should we encourage "distance to ASCII" as an objective yardstick of
prioritization?

-Ram

4.1.5

Support for prioritizing languages/scripts for the IDN gTLD launch according
to demand/need, possibly using a notion of "distance to ASCII" (for example,
by giving higher priority to right-to-left scripts than to "decorated
Latin").