ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Asciish

  • To: Cary Karp <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Asciish
  • From: Tan Tin Wee <tinwee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:06:56 +0800

Cary

Certainly you are technically correct and I don't think I would have been
able to originally help invent IDNs if I did not know that technical
difference. But as everyone knows in normal discourse ASCII and English
tend to be used interchangeably and certainly in the context of all those in this WG, being IDN experts, I would be astonished if no one knew the actual difference. (Apologies to anyone who nevetheless got confused.)

And as to the very close similarity between the two, even Olof's helpful Wiki definition states that ASCII is based on the English alphabet, further linking the two. So, if we can move on to more constructive comments
and avoiding nitpicky issues and focus on the next thing I really
wanted to discuss... coming up next,
the notion of a language or a script's proximity to ASCII and
the implications on how we can level the playing field for
developing countries, which Ram has just mailed out.

Cheers
tw

Cary Karp wrote:
Quoting Tin Wee:

... no IDN string in a given language should be assumed to have any
meaning or other connection with another string in another language,
ASCII included.

The w.g. discussion has been peppered with references to ASCII as both a language and a script. I have always been of the belief that it is neither. Can someone please provide a few references to linguistic sources that provide warrant for this usage.

/Cary