ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5

  • To: "Tan Tin Wee" <tinwee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5
  • From: "Alexei Sozonov" <sozon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:23:44 -0800

Hello everyone again,

...reg  4.1.5.

I have already said that in fact Cyrillic as a script covers several
languages/countries. The population using Cyrillic is very large.
Just in Russian we have more than 20 million people on the Internet
already. In fact we are on the board of the .ru ASCII TLD committee and
know that .ru has been operating for 10 years and now has several
hundred thousand  domains in .ru. Even now the total cost of operating this
widely used system is probably less than US$25 000 a year, and certainly
was less when they first started. For even a big country like Russia ,
and running a TLD that is quite stable, operational costs are much
lower. For comparison, an application deposit fee for ASCII gTLD
applicant to ICANN is $50 000 per applicant. Crazy - and what for???

In ICANN  insurance is mandatory - and it's reasonable

So this financial levels set by ICANN for West (place were money are just printed
on paper for the rest of the world :) in the past should not be applied, if we want
russian/other applicants participate in fare way. Its quite meaningless.

Alexei

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tan Tin Wee" <tinwee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>