ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5

• To: Alexei Sozonov <sozon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:52:34 -0800

Hi,

Talking about geographical diversity in the winners of upcoming TLD rounds, someone correct me if the following is wrong. I believe the GAC has made a specific request of GNSO in recent documents to ensure that there is geographical diversity (or something equivalent) in the winners. I assume this naturally applies even more strongly when it comes to IDN which is needed more naturally in the non-Western areas, that to date have been the lion's share of ASCII gTLD winners of the past several years. I believe there is a good reason for GAC to have this sentiment - the usual reasons of fairness and leveling of the playing field for an asset - the Internet - which endlessly claims to be a global and shared-resource, if nothing else.

So if the sentiment behind my presumption about the GAC request is assumed to be a fair one, how then would GNSO or ICANN go about ensuring that outcome ? Unless we are willing to think in terms of some quota system, which I know is anethma to the average-ICANNer, I cannot think of any unforced way other than to lower the barriers of entry - not necessarily just for the relatively resource-less applicant but for all applicants. A threshold low enough that even the least wealthy applicant that shows sufficient minimal technical and financial capability can cross and the merits of the application can be based on other differing criteria. The question of what is sufficient capability, need not arise from the concept of some kind of "handout" from ICANN - reduced application or discount (while that would be most welcome). But rather it can naturally, particularly in the case of IDN where the need for IDN matches poorer locales, arise with a recognition that many of these IDN regions do not expect or need the same ultra-level of expensive technical standards (e.g. 0.000000001% failure rates) or financial requirements (salaries are far less, commensurate with lower purchase prices of domains) as Western gTLD requirements/end-user expectations.

Is this practical ? Will it really threaten technical stability etc. ? The answer must be yes and no, respectively, if one considers that well over half the ASCII cctlds today (say over 100) are probably run at far less technical standard levels or financial requirement levels than a Verisign or a Neustar and certainly as someone else pointed out would not themselves meet the criteria of any present-day GNSO gTLD application. If these ccTLDs have been operational without in the main breaking down the Internet and with a reasonable level of operational satisfaction by the clienteles of the countries they have served for a decade or more, than clearly the lower technical and financial standards by which they operate are demonstrably a lowered bar-level. One that should be acceptable to ICANN and overcome any "instability" fears.

Any comeback, that "its fine for ccTLDs" but not fine for a global gTLD, can be shown the lie by considering the following. For an idealized IDN country whose people and only whose people speak that IDN language with an additional small minority of them living in small pockets worldwide, the set of Internet users who have been using that country's existing ASCII country-code web-sites will almost precisely match the set that can be expected to use any new IDN global gTLD in that IDN language. That is, the same people can be expected to use a future IDN gTLD as those that currently use the parent country's existing ASCII ccTLD. Existing ccTLDs that mostly will not qualify for today's GNSO gTLD application criteria.

For the above reasons, I think we can not only lower the bar with little risk of calamity but have a natural way to determine what that bar should be for a given IDN/region. And as a net result, we would have an unforced way to allow geographical diversity that the GAC wishes in TLD awards. This may naturally lead to future ASCII gTLDs going to the West more and the IDN gTLDs to the IDN regions more. This is in a way fine because the IDN regions will absorb more of the "riskier" TLDs, while the West will continue to maintain the premium levsls of operational standards its users seek and need. But there is an intrinsic fairness in that - those who can pay more take less risk, like everything else in this world.

Therefore I strongly support Tin Wee's proposal in this matter.

Subbiah

Alexei Sozonov wrote:

Hello everyone again,

...reg  4.1.5.

I have already said that in fact Cyrillic as a script covers several
languages/countries. The population using Cyrillic is very large.
Just in Russian we have more than 20 million people on the Internet
already. In fact we are on the board of the .ru ASCII TLD committee and
know that .ru has been operating for 10 years and now has several
hundred thousand domains in .ru. Even now the total cost of operating this
widely used system is probably less than US$25 000 a year, and certainly
was less when they first started. For even a big country like Russia ,
and running a TLD that is quite stable, operational costs are much
lower. For comparison, an application deposit fee for ASCII gTLD
applicant to ICANN is $50 000 per applicant. Crazy - and what for???

In ICANN  insurance is mandatory - and it's reasonable

So this financial levels set by ICANN for West (place were money are just printed
on paper for the rest of the world :) in the past should not be applied, if we want
russian/other applicants participate in fare way. Its quite meaningless.

Alexei

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tan Tin Wee" <tinwee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 2:21 PM Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.1.5

Regarding 4.1.5 which Ram has just initiated,

Support for prioritizing languages/scripts for the IDN gTLD launch according to demand/need, possibly using a notion of "distance to ASCII" (for example, by giving higher priority to right-to-left scripts than to "decorated Latin")

can be and should be upgraded to agreement, unless we want to quibble over
whether one can or cannot compare languages and scripts to ASCII ;-)

However, I would like to discuss the following because I think it is worthwhile
to consider the issue of lower entry barriers. I had previously
commented about the success criteria of an IDN deployment at TLD level.

I think it is important that we have support, if not agreement by
everyone, that in the forthcoming IDN gTLD outcome, we should see
some geographical diversity in the winners, and there should be processes
in place that levels the playing field for newcomers especially from developing
countries, for the entry barrriers to be lowered as well as for their
technical and operational expertise to be leveled upwards with
assistance programmes. I see this as only fair and right thing to do.
In this regard, there has to be some degree of preferential treatment
during this transient period at the very least. I would like to propose:

Support for preferential and/or fast-tracked prioritized
treatment of applications from applicants arising from
the particular language/script communities themselves that
are in need of IDN gTLDs so as to achieve inclusivity, for example,
a. through lower financial entry barriers, b. technical and operational
criteria that are commensurate with the community which the IDN gTLD is
intended to serve, with policies that are crafted in consultation
with the specific language or script-using community, in recognition
of their rights and natural linguistic expertise in their own language and
their specific knowledge of what is appropriate and needed;
where the prioritisation process can involve the utilitarian
measure of an effective user population that stands to benefit
from the deployment of the IDN gTLD applied for.

As you rightly put it, we need objective yardsticks,
and prioritization stated without objective yardsticks
addressing financial entry barriers, and technical and operational
difficulties of applicants from developing countries for instance,
or the size of the population that will stand to benefit,
will only be paying lip service to the currently disenfranchised.

bestrgds
tw

Ram Mohan wrote:

Dear WG Members,

Currently, 4.1.5 is a Support statement. I wonder if there are significant opposing views to this statement, or if we have the willingness to elevate this “Distance to ASCII” statement to an Agreement?

Although there are many reasons for an IDN gTLD application, arguably the biggest one is to allow those communities where traditional ASCII representations, and/or alphabetized representations are inadequate for domain name labels, are allowed a way to represent their languages online. We know that there are only a few remaining barriers to achieving this. Should we encourage “distance to ASCII” as an objective yardstick of prioritization?

-Ram

*4.1.5 *

*Support* for prioritizing languages/scripts for the IDN gTLD launch according to demand/need, possibly using a notion of “distance to ASCII” (for example, by giving higher priority to right-to-left scripts than to “decorated Latin”).

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.413 / Virus Database: 268.18.13/726 - Release Date: 3/18/2007

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy