ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Item 4.5.4

  • To: "Hong Xue" <hongxueipr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Item 4.5.4
  • From: "Charles Shaban" <cshaban@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:08:08 +0200

Dear Hong and Colleagues:

What you stated about trademarks is true that it is territorial...
and as you know more and more countries are becoming members of
Madrid protocol and similar international agreements. It is not
sacred that we should not discuss but at the same time we should not
ignore the real life policies (when there is an infringement in real
life on a trademark most of the time it is solved with the TM
registrar and does not reach courts) for me cyberspace is a new way
to handle and work with what we used to do before cyberspace and most
of the times the same rules applies after customizing them to
cyberspace. By the way not only in IDN and Domain names but in all
our "electronic" dealings.

Best regards,

Charles