ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Follow-up from Implementation Review Team Call

  • To: Caitlin Tubergen <caitlin.tubergen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Follow-up from Implementation Review Team Call
  • From: Theo Geurts <theo.geurts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:28:53 +0200 (CEST)

A few quick comments.

3.2(a) is the part where the registrar gets consent and i assume the non
consent if that is the case ?

Regarding the notifications mentioned in 3.2(b)
(iii) If consent was given in 3.2(a), then (iii) might throw a wrench into the
process when the new registrant has not entered into agreement and forgets or
refuses. The text in (i) sets a 24 hours window. And in my opinion this adds a
layer of complexity.

Same goes for (iv) and (v) and (vi). These shouldn't be in all cases part of a
notification process. To ensure flexibillity i would suggest to rewrite 3.2
completly and make them a directive. Then a Registrar can determine based on
it's business model and operational implementation to decide what goes where
during the change of registrant process.

To be clear, I am not suggesting the notifications should not be removed and or
any of the above sections. It should part of a directive. And perhaps directive
is the wrong word/term here, I am simply trying to find some balance here and I
am aware this also affects parts of 3.1.

As this was section was removed :" The Registrar should not provide the Change
of Registrant Credential to the Account Holder unless the Account Holder and
Prior Registrant are the same. In the event the Prior Registrant can no longer
access its email address, phone number or address, the Registrar would not be
limited to use of contact information on file in providing the Change of
Registrant Credential".

The reason for removing it is clear to me as the credential part is now part of
the secure mechanism definition. However what we have created here is the
situation that under all circumstances, provided it is a material change,
triggers the change of registrant process. So the balance we tried to achieve a
few months ago is gone, as you can no longer login to your registrar account to
correct an email address. So we might want to circle back on this during the
next call.

Regarding the issue I brought up during the last call when it comes to privacy
protect providers and or registrars offering spam reduction solutions. A
Designated Agent could indeed be the solution. This would be part of the terms
and conditions set by those agents between them and the registrants, read pre
authorise.
We need to come up with a solution regarding the notifications as part of the
current procedure. As I can imagine that in certain specific situations you
want to skip the notification part as updating the email address might be part
of an automatic procedure and will generate alot of notifications and create
confusion.

I think with the above and Bob's comments from the last call we have a starting
point to explore this designated agent role more. I think the process for
Registrars should be low profile yet accountable. If we start to define the
role too deep we will create a can of worms here with questions like, how long
is the pre authorisation period etc etc. I don't think we should head that
direction.

Best

Theo