ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08]

RE: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] RE: Issue III

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] RE: Issue III
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:50:10 -0700

style="font-family: verdana,geneva;" face="verdana,geneva">Mike and
Group:<br><br>To my knowledge, there is nothing in the existing policy that
would&nbsp; _prevent_&nbsp; the registrant-initiated transfer you have
described.&nbsp; <br><br>For instance, a (hypothetical?) registrar (or
act as an agent/proxy on your behalf, and handle all of the tedium associated
with the "batch" transfer in your first paragraph.&nbsp; And, since some
registries (Barbara can help here...?) offer a pro-rated monthly renewal rate,
they could also develop a "synchronization service" to purchase monthly
registrations until all domains reached a preferred renewal date.<br><br><font
style="" color="#000000"><font size="2"><font style="font-family:
verdana,geneva;" face="verdana,geneva">Aside from a few large, full-service
targeted service offerings to a variety of market segments.&nbsp; The existing
environment encourages niche or boutique registrars to be innovative and
develop new offerings, and I think the industry as a whole benefits from
registrar diversity.&nbsp; If there are no registrars that satisfactorily offer
a desired service, then that should be thought of as an identified business
opportunity, rather than a call for policy.<br><font style=""
color="#000000"><font size="2"><font style="font-family: verdana,geneva;"
face="verdana,geneva"><br>In my opinion, we need to be cautious about
style="font-family: verdana,geneva;" face="verdana,geneva">anything that might
development.&nbsp; Ideas that are written into ICANN policy will become SOP for
all registrars, regardless of scale, market, or business model
considerations.&nbsp; This will restrict the boundaries of innovation, and over
time move towards a commoditized and homogeneous registrar
padding-left: 8px;">
-------- Original Message --------<br>