ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

RE: [gnso-osc] FW: CCT Report II

  • To: "Robin Gross" <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc] FW: CCT Report II
  • From: "Mason Cole" <masonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:16:01 -0700

Robin -

Let me address your point as chair of the CCT.  Our team certainly did not
ignore anyone's objections; to the contrary, we carefully reviewed all parts of
the OSC's input.  I may be confused, as I understood while there was a level of
objection to the section you're talking about, the OSC as a whole hashed this
out and while there was some level of disagreement, decided to leave an amended
version in.

For the record, the "civility" language comes directly from ICANN's Standards
of Behavior - the CCT didn't create any new standard nor is it recommending
anything beyond the community being aware of it and reminded from time to time,
as appropriate.  I note the Board very recently (11 Feb) ratified these
principles in a resolution: https://omblog.icann.org/?p=252.

"It is hereby RESOLVED (2010.02.04.16) that the Board affirms that all
participants in ICANN are expected to adhere to the Expected Standards of
Behavior as published in the ICANN Accountability & Transparency: Frameworks
and Principles, found at:
http://www.icann.org/en/transparency/acct-trans-frameworks-principles-10jan08.pdf.

It is further RESOLVED (2010.02.04.17) that the Board requests that the CEO
direct ICANN Staff to provide at least annual reminders of the Expected
Standards of Behavior to the membership of ICANN's supporting organizations and
advisory committees, and to consider the other proposals by the Ombudsman to
enhance civility. "

I went back and reviewed the discussion thread on this from December, and see
several references to the ombudsman with regard to encouraging civility.  The
CCT's thinking on this issue had little, if anything, to do with the ombudsman
or its function - merely our observation was that a) at times there is a
breakdown in civility in the community, b) there's a stated and valued standard
of behavior that addresses civility, and c) it's helpful to continue to
encourage civil discourse.  That's all.

I do see in the board's resolution a reference to the ombudsman (to consider
other proposals by that office to enhance civility) but the CCT did not
actively factor that into its recommendations.  We're simply underlining the
fact that ICANN values civility, that sometimes exchanges are difficult or
combative, and as ICANN's workload grows, it's helpful to remember to treat one
another well in the course of our work.  We did not want to clutter that
message with anything else, really, including the ombudsman.

The CCT agrees that civility is also a matter of setting an example.  But our
job was to evaluate GNSO communications, and we found an area that needed to be
addressed with reminders of ICANN's official standards, and we did so.  So,
with all possible civility : ), I would tell you we firmly believe this is a
useful and necessary part of the report.

I hope that's helpful.

Mason Cole

CCT Chair