ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration Abuse Policies Workshop pre-meeting

  • To: "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration Abuse Policies Workshop pre-meeting
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:12:15 -0500

Dear Marika and Margie and friends:

Thanks for slides.  I have a few comments for consideration.

Slide 11 contains theorizing about what might be examples of registration
abuse.  Perhaps this should be avoided, given that the WG will be tasked
with exploring the definitional and policy issues and developing an
illustrative categorization of known abuses.  Instead, it might be better to
point to examples of registration abuse that are already well-understood.
For example, one could point to the AGP Limits Policy.  That was the product
of a PDP, which determined there was abuse of the add grace period.  Another
example is WHOIS accuracy, which is within ICANN policy scope.

So, I suggest that the slides talk about what we do know so far, and that
discussion be allowed to proceed from there. The Fast-flux Working Group
experience emphasized that scope and definitional work are critical,
especially early on.  Perhaps it is best that we not get ahead of ourselves.

Also regarding the current examples on slide 11:

*       Fast-flux ("rapidly modifying nameserver records in order to avoid
takedown attempts") seems like inapplicable example.  Nameserver changes are
a post-registration activity.  Also, the FFWG's report notes that fast-flux
is a use issue, and that most fast-flux is accomplished without making
changes to domain or host records.
*       As someone mentioned, the genesis of the UDRP sounds unique; and the
use-versus-registration issues there are not understood yet.
*       I suggest that examples of domain use abuses could include:
phishing, spam, intentional distribution of malware, and botnet
command-and-control.

All best,

--Greg

  _____