ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:03:34 -0500

Yes, that's a perfectly fine definition. But the good news is that Avri's
proposed definition really has very few, if any, substantive differences from a
correct one:

> Vertical integration is defined as a business structure in which there is
> no separation between the registry operator and the registrar in relation
> to a particular gTLD; they are either owned and operated by the same
> company or have another contractual affiliation that covers the specific
> gTLD, and the domain name supplier is not required to provide full and
> equal access to independent firms to sell names under its TLD.

Other than the phrase " or have another contractual affiliation that covers the
specific gTLD", which is a bit vague, I have no problem with this definition.
This is in fact not what our difference was within NCUC. It is the equal access
issue that didn't seem to be understood at the time, but this definition
includes that.

I still think it wise to include the economic reference and the official
definition used therein, so that policy experts and real economists who observe
our work at least know we did our homework. I do not consider Wikipedia to be
an authoritative source on anything, and typically no subject matter expert
does.

--MM