ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:39:04 -0500

On 4 Feb 2010, at 15:03, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I still think it wise to include the economic reference and the official
> definition used therein, so that policy experts and real economists who
> observe our work at least know we did our homework. I do not consider
> Wikipedia to be an authoritative source on anything, and typically no subject
> matter expert does.

As I said, I knew that.  What I was trying to show is that it is common
knowledge that Vertical Integration goes beyond the single ownership company. I
acknowledged that wikipedia is not accepted in academic circles.

The fact the a single corporate structure is not  the only path to Vertical
Integration was also recognized in the CRA report that said:

Full ownership separation requires not only that the bottleneck firm and firms
in the complementary segment be distinct legal entities, but also requires that
they be unaffiliated.  In particular, common ownership or control of a
bottleneck firm and a (separate) firm providing complementary services is not
permitted.

a.