ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: "livability"

  • To: "<vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: "livability"
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:33:49 +0000

On 11 Jun 2010, at 16:23, Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH wrote:

> Hi Avri, Hi Milton,
>
> I had noted this exception, however, as most community TLDs will
> struggle to surpass this number, this is effectively an exclusion of
> equal access.

Exactly

> The point where equal access is required is the point
> where implementing the new TLD will not make much sense for most
> registrars anymore, thereby protecting the monopoly. Even in community
> TLDs with huge growth potential, the registry can effectively market the
> most valuable domain names itself. While an auction system as used with
> modern launches has a similar effect, most registries offer kickbacks to
> registrars that brought the winning registrant.
>
> I do not get your argument of registries using being ineffective or
> having to bear a large investment if they use registrars. Do not
> registrars act as effective multipliers for most TLDs? Registrars also
> reduce the need for end-customer support, thereby reducing costs.

They also offer the services that the registries normally can't or don't want
to offer.

I find it counter-intuitive to think that a supposedly struggling small TLD
registry would be in a position to offer a good level of customer service /
support and the gamut of services (think email, hosting, DNS etc.,) that end
users want.

> The
> use of registrars will _help_ new TLDs to become viable, not obstruct them.

Exactly

The only exception I can think of is those TLDs that have such bizarre
registration rules that it simply is not commercially viable to carry them.

Regards

Michele

> Volker
>>
>> But this exception is only suggested for the first 50K names (all threshhold
>> numbers in CAM are negotiable).  After that the equal access provision kicks
>> in and the registrants are free to transfer any of those names and all new
>> registrants come in from the whole field of willing ICANN registrars.
>>
>> It does not abandon th equal access clause, but just gives a temporary
>> exception to it.  The proposal is trying to find a compromise point that
>> allows the new community Registry to get off the ground with a minimal
>> investment in the larger Registry-Registrar support structure.  But once it
>> is viable, and 50k was (as a compromise between 0 and 100K that were
>> suggested) defined as the viability mark.
>>
>> a.
>>
>> On 11 Jun 2010, at 10:34, Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH wrote:
>>

>>> CAM has in my view one major flaw as it abandons the equal access principle
>>> for registrars and goes so far as to proposae no registrar is necessary
>>> even for community TLDs, a position I just cannot sign on to. In its other
>>> aspects, CAM has some very interesting ideas and proposals for a system of
>>> preliminary checks, many of which bear consideration for implementation.
>>>
>>> We still have a long way ahead of us with respect to buiding a system to
>>> prevent, restrict or punish abuse prior to and after delegation and I see
>>> many aspects from CAM's regulatory framework that would come into play at
>>> that stage.
>>>
>>> Volker

>>> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
> [...]
>>>
>>> Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
>>> www.key-systems.net/facebook
>>> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>>>
>>> CEO: Alexander Siffrin
>>> Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
>>> V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534
>>>
>>> This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it
>>> is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of
>>> this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.
>>> If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly
>>> notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.

> --
> Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Volker A. Greimann
> - Rechtsabteilung -
>
> Key-Systems GmbH
> Prager Ring 4-12
> 66482 Zweibrücken
> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
> Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
> Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
> www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com
>
> Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
> www.key-systems.net/facebook
> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>
> Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
> Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
> Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534
>
> Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen
> Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder
> Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese
> Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per
> E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

> Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Volker A. Greimann
> - legal department -
>
> Key-Systems GmbH
> Prager Ring 4-12
> DE-66482 Zweibruecken
> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
> Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
> Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
> www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com
>
> Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
> www.key-systems.net/facebook
> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>
> CEO: Alexander Siffrin
> Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
> V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534
>
> This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is
> addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this
> email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an
> addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify
> the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
ICANN Accredited Registrar