ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: "livability"

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: "livability"
  • From: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:12:20 -0700

Aside from odd business logic or strict policy being in the way of
registrars adding a given tld, it could be that the tld requires datapoints
that are not captured (ie .geo which uses longitude, latitude, altitude)  in
a typical registrar cart system, database or customer service systems
today.

Registrars might opt to move on to other tlds that had less hurdles, leaving
the tld with few or no registrars and no route from customer to tld.

jothan frakes

On Jun 11, 2010 12:36 PM, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <
michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11 Jun 2010, at 16:23, Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH wrote:

> Hi Avri, Hi Milton,

Exactly

> The point where equal access is required is the point
> where implementing the new TLD will not ...
They also offer the services that the registries normally can't or don't
want to offer.

I find it counter-intuitive to think that a supposedly struggling small TLD
registry would be in a position to offer a good level of customer service /
support and the gamut of services (think email, hosting, DNS etc.,) that end
users want.

> The
> use of registrars will _help_ new TLDs to become viable, not obstruct
them.
Exactly

The only exception I can think of is those TLDs that have such bizarre
registration rules that it simply is not commercially viable to carry them.

Regards

Michele

> Volker
>>
>> But this exception is only suggested for the first 50K names (all
threshhold nu...

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection