ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Turning the Preliminary Report to an Initial Report

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Turning the Preliminary Report to an Initial Report
  • From: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:12:15 -0700

Mikey,

It's really up to the working group to decide these things, including what they
would like to include in the Initial Report.     My concern with calling it an
Initial  Report at this stage is that it doesn't appear that the VI-WG has
reached consensus yet on the likely recommendations, nor has it even narrowed
the list down to 2 or 3 top approaches.

Here's a suggestion for the group to consider:

1.       On Monday, the VI-WG  identifies  the 2 or 3 proposals that will be
highlighted in the Preliminary Report

2.       The proposers of these finalists draft text  explaining their
positions to be included in the Preliminary Report by COB  next Tuesday (15
June)

3.       Someone on the VI-WG volunteers to assists with drafting content on
the current state of deliberations, and perhaps includes observations from the
VI working Group on the ABG v.4 board proposal

4.       All comments to the draft Report circulated yesterday should be
delivered by COB next Tuesday (15 June).

5.       The Preliminary Report is published by no later than Friday of next
week (18 June)

6.       The Brussels meeting is dedicated to discussion of these finalist
proposals and attempting to identify the proposal that has garnered the most
consensus, and any minority positions if no consensus is reached

7.       The Stakeholders/Constituencies would use Brussels time to
update/retract their Statements as appropriate, and hopefully support one of
the finalist proposals.

8.       The Initial Report would be published for public comment shortly after
Brussels (early July) that describes this consensus, and primarily focuses on
reporting on Objective 1, which is:

"Objective 1: To make policy recommendations that provide clear direction to
ICANN staff and new gTLD applicants on whether, and if so under what
conditions, contracts for new gTLD registries can permit vertical Integration
or otherwise deviate from current forms of registry-registrar separation, and
equivalent access and non-discriminatory access. "

        The Initial Report would also include the updated
Constituency/Stakeholder Group Statements.

9.       After analysis of the public comment in August,  the recommendations
are adjusted as appropriate, and the Final Report is  produced by the end of
August.

10.   The GNSO Council could then act on the recommendations in September.

I'll be happy to discuss this suggested timeline more on Monday's call.

Best Regards,

Margie