ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Feedback: Amended Statement on Exceptions for Vertical Integration Group

  • To: gnso-vi-feb10 <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Feedback: Amended Statement on Exceptions for Vertical Integration Group
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:09:03 -0400

The more I think about it the more I see a flexible "exceptions" process as the
only way to achieve the short-term agreement needed to move ahead. It allows us
to agree that the first round of new TLD additions would go ahead on a
presumption of the standard registry-registrar separation, and then allow
applicants to request exceptions, which are then vetted on a case by case basis
according to some simple criteria agreed by this group.

Based on that, I like the five bullet points Avri has posted but I think the
list of exceptions is too narrow. Would propose:

* Add SRSU to the list of exceptions. I don't think it is difficult at all to
define what we mean by SRSU and how it would apply.
* That an "absence of market power" claim should be included to allow small
registries to propose vertically integrated business models. This could include
a registration threshold (e.g., 50,000 names)
* That market power should also be a consideration in denying exception claims

I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel!
--MM