ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icg-forum]

comment on draft RFP

  • To: icg-forum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comment on draft RFP
  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:07:06 -0400

Re. the draft IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group RFP, v14, dated 30 August 2014:

Please allow me to offer one suggestion, as follows:

The RFP in various places refers to IANA and the "IANA functions operator" in equivalent fashion - e.g., Section II., B. refers to "all the ways in which oversight over IANA's provision of the services and functions listed in Section I and all the ways in which IANA is currently held accountable for the provision of those services."

IANA is a set of functions, performed by the "IANA functions operator" - i.e., it is only the "IANA functions operator" that is a legal or organizational entity that can be held accountable for it's performance of IANA functions, and provision of IANA services.

Accordingly, the above referenced statement should, to be more accurate, be rewritten as ""all the ways in which oversight over the IANA functions operators provision of the services and functions listed in Section I and all the ways in which the IANA functions operator is currently held accountable for the provision of those services."

I recommend that the document be scrubbed for similar confusion of terms, and be edited to clarify them.

Respectfully,

Miles R. Fidelman
for himself