ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

IRP Decision "minority opinion" can't be considered as an excuse for ICANN

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IRP Decision "minority opinion" can't be considered as an excuse for ICANN
  • From: Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:53:34 -0400

To whom it may concern:

I have read the IRP decision concerning .xxx and the subsequent ICANN consultation document with great interest.

I have a particular interest in Internet governance and conflict resolution processes and was excited to see a full-fledged ruling from a competent and professional dispute resolution entity in this field. I was surprised however at the dilatory consultation document produced by ICANN.

What is shockingly misleading in that document is the *outright rejection* of the panel’s conclusion and the label used for presenting this option: "Adopt the findings of the dissent."

The basis for my reaction is the very mechanism of a three-member arbitration panel: ICANN selected its member on its own, and was *expected* to select a law professional having a bias for the ICANN position and/or arguments, ICM registry did the same on its side.

The third member is the only one without bias. It is thus very unlikely to have anything but a 2-to-1 result in a three-member arbitration panel. That is dispute resolution 101 for those who have some interest in dispute resolution processes.

The author(s) of the consultation document produce an intellectual fallacy in using the phrase "adopt the findings of the dissent" as if it was a decision of an Appeal or Supreme Court where dissent comes from an a-priori unbiased judge.

In using this phrase, the author(s) deliberately omit(s) the true status of the 2-to-1 IRP decision (and the weak written opinion of the dissent as I read it) as a final ruling. As such it could mislead the ICANN Board members and members of the public. And it prepares the public relations message for outright rejection of the IRP decision by ICANN. I find this attitude lacking respect to the IRP arbitration process.

I wonder to which extent an author of the consultation document being a registered legal adviser is complying with their professional code of conduct when he/she distorts the basic facts about the IRP decision (as if its minority opinion was from a judge having a duty of neutrality).

External accountability of ICANN is essential to the future of Internet governance, and ICANN should not fall in the trap of postponing this decision to another case or another round of the same case.

Thanks for handling these important ICANN accountability issues now that they have became so critical.

Regards,

Thierry Moreau
Montreal, Canada