ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: "Mary Wong" <MWong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:22:28 -0400

Here's the thing with string and use, though - there are at least three,
increasingly expansive, ways to look at MAPO objections (even as currently
stated in DAGv4): just the string, the string plus user, and the string plus
use thereof/thereafter (Bertrand mentioned this during the GAC meeting as well).

For those who do not think it either wise or feasible to remove MAPO entirely
from the new gTLD application process, are you comfortable with a contextual
examination (even if it is a panel comprised of "eminent jurists") in view of
ICANN's mandate?

As Evan (I believe) noted, there is no one from the GAC in this SOAC group at
the moment. In Brussels, they seemed at a loss as to whether and if they could
and should come up with an alternative recommendation to the Board. I just
don't see ICANN reversing course and agreeing to remove MAPO at this juncture
unless the GAC pushes for it (and as Avri and Philip have said, the GAC may
actually end up requesting something worse). That's partly why I think we as a
group should request that the consultation papers from the "eminent jurists"
consulted by ICANN be released to us, to figure out at least whether the
legal/normative issues that some of us have raised on this list were addressed.

Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584