ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Possible ICANN liability

  • To: <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Possible ICANN liability
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:25:21 -0400

I have a question that I don't think has been addressed before.

Some of the scenarios that are being discussed would allow possibly "objectionable" names to go into the root, and be blocked by various authorities if they felt it appropriate.

In cases such as these, would ICANN have any liability if the registry should ultimately fail and ICANN ends up being the de facto custodian of the TLD until it can be re-delegated or shut down. Specifically, ICANN operates in a jurisdiction the might allow some sort of lawsuit that the original operator, because of where they were situated, would not have been subject to.

Alan