ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] On "universal resolvability" and useful questions that emerged yesterday

  • To: Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] On "universal resolvability" and useful questions that emerged yesterday
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:17:28 -0400

B:
Thanks. A followup question:
Is a TLD string in a language script I don't understand "available" to me?
E.g., are Arabic characters, which are completely meaningless and useless to me
as a URL, "available" to me?
--MM

Some comments inline. But first, generally speaking, referring to your comment
on technical misunderstanding : this is the reason why I believe that
"universal availability" could be a better concept than "universal
resolvability". You are right in your technical assessment and what I believe
the GAC is concerned with is indeed the objective of universal availability (I
do not think I misrepresent GAC members but I can be corrected).

On the comments below, we may not agree, but this type of exchange is the very
benefit of the processes we are involved in (they allow to understand better
the perspectives of others). thanks for engaging.