ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 09:26:36 +0300

Hi,

I guess my issue is the basis of the objection, and what is considered valid in
the quick look.

If national law is a valid criteria for objection, then it passes quick look.
So while a national gov't may have standing to object, does their national law
count as a relevant reason to carry that objection beyond quick look?

If they are paying a fee to object, and objecting as a fair waring that they
plan to block the string or warning their nationals of dire consequences, that
is ok as it is an internal issue.  But it should be considered invalid in the
quick look for reason 4-below.

But any of the reasons requires some ICANN action, even if only quick look
rejection.

a.