ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Note of GAC position on paying for objections

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Note of GAC position on paying for objections
  • From: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:33:33 +0530

If we are debating about a fee payable by Governments with the hope of
discouraging frivolous objections, is it practical that we will come up with
a fee structure that a Government would consider difficult?

And why do we assume that objections from a Government or a Community could
be trivial against a string that is more likely to be commercial?  There is
some prejudice here: approval or continuity of a string is pre-evaluated as
meritorious while an objection is pre-judged as something with a high
likelihood of avoidable frivolity.

If the cost to ICANN in evaluating and arbitrating on an objection is the
issue, then the WG may have to consider provisional upfront payments both
from the appellant and defendant, with intended recovery from the one who
loses the case.  That would be fair, but still wrong. Wrong, because the
requirement of a fee would act as a deterrent to a process akin to a
judicial process.

The issue of possible frivolous objections must instead be dealt with by the
process itself.  The mechanism to evaluate an objection should be trusted to
make quick evaluations of frivolous objections and dismiss them as frivolous
objections as such.

Sivasubramanian M
http://turiya.co.in

http://www.isocmadras.com