ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP

  • To: "'soac-mapo'" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP
  • From: "Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:32:01 -0400

Perhaps it would be clearer if our report/recs made a distinction between the
"experts" who would be consulted/appointed to provide advice to the Board about
a filed objection, and the "DRSP" (if any) who may be the agency outsourced by
ICANN to handle the purely procedural matters (e.g. timely filing, fee
payments/refunds etc.).

In other words, it's not the DRSP as a body/entity that provides
advice/recommendations/opinions to the Board, but it may function as a conduit
and administrator for a dispute that is filed. It's the expert (or expert
panel) that analyzes the substance of the objection from an international law
perspective, and who then provides advice to the Board as to its
merits/possible outcome.

Or is my understanding now wrong?

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the
Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584