ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:33:20 -0400

Important question, Chuck.

I don't think I am advocating micro level involvement - but it depends on what
you mean by the micro level.
As I envision it, the objection is made, the administrative stuff is handled by
the contractor, and the expert advice/report is received, the Board reads it
and makes a decision. Is that micro-level?

What I don't see as viable: the Board decides in each case whether to engage an
advisor, hears and weighs evidence from both parties, etc., then makes a
decision.

Your question has made me understand better why some feel there is no
distinction between "advice" and "recommendation." What is in the expert
report? If it just says, "veto" or "don't veto" then its easier for the board
but then the board is totally outsourcing the decision. I still don't want the
advisory panel to make a decision, and I certainly don't want a Board
supermajority to be required to overturn such a decision. I would be ok with a
"recommendation" from an expert panel if the Board still had to vote by a
supermajority to veto a TLD (regardless of what rec the panel made).

--MM