ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)

  • To: "soac-mapo" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)
  • From: "Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:34:02 -0400

Milton, your understanding as to how the process would work (below) is
what I had in mind when thinking about appropriate language for Rec 4.1,
as I thought it ought to be clarified. If this group already disagrees
(at least in some respects) and/or are querying how the dispute
resolution process should work, it seems to me we need some form of Rec
4.1 so that these questions are less likely to arise again in the next
version of the AGB.

Also, and since the current AGB (v4) has a fairly detailed but
streamlined objection procedure (from specifying the maximum length of a
response to time limits). doesn't require an in-person hearing, and
recommends resolution within 45 days of the panel appointment, the
question about "advice" versus "recommendation" can be significant, not
necessarily just semantic.

For example, there's a difference (to my mind) between an expert opnion
that "this series of words (i.e. the string) is contrary to a well-known
principle of international law" and one that says "this string should
not be approved because it is contrary to a well-known principle of
international law". Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the expert
opnion to be along the lines of the former, such that the Board then has
to decide whether, in light of that finding, it will or won't approve
the application?

Another question has already been raised, viz., whether the Board
"should", "must" or "may" consult experts in regard to international
law.

I can try to take another stab at 4.1, to simplify/shorten it and to
indicate that the Board must consult experts when international law
questions are on the table. Unless that is not the consensus/will of
this group  ... ?

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584