ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)

  • To: Mary Wong <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:11:20 -0400

On the “advice” vs. “recommendation” issue, I think Mary got it exactly right
here:

For example, there's a difference (to my mind) between an expert opnion that
"this series of words (i.e. the string) is contrary to a well-known principle
of international law" and one that says "this string should not be approved
because it is contrary to a well-known principle of international law".
Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the expert opnion to be along the lines of
the former, such that the Board then has to decide whether, in light of that
finding, it will or won't approve the application?

In other words, the experts can tell the Board that in their opinion a string
is clearly contrary to principles of int. law, possibly contrary, or clearly
not contrary. But it cannot and should not say,  “do not approve this string”
or “do approve this string”

That distinction may seem nuanced, but it really matters. It is the board
making the decision, not the experts. This distinction is not quite captured,
however, by the current proposal for 4.1, which says that the experts cannot
provide advice or recommendations, which is why I voted against it.

As I have said before, whether you call the experts’ report “advice” or
“recommendation” or something does not matter much if the Board must have a
supermajority to kill an application based on an objection, and it must have
that supermajority regardless of what the experts said.

So in my opinion, the board should NOT vote to approve or discard the decision
handed to it by the experts. It should use the experts’ report as an input to
its decision. The decision is its own.

--MM