ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.XXX domain proposal.

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .XXX domain proposal.
  • From: "rawalex" <rawalex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:11:56 -0500

Hello,

I am a succesfull and responsible adult webmaster and I'm writing you to let
you know that I am strongly opposed the the .xxx domain name idea.

As the owner of a large number of domains, this proposal would require me to
spend a significant amount of money to "stay in business".  As an example,
1000 domains would require a payout of $75,000, instead of the normal amount
currently paid (which is about 90% less, $7 or so per domain).   Further,  I
would have to dmaintain my .com real estate to avoid squatters from stealing
traffic and causing me harm to my business.  This amounts to be nothing more
than a tax on adult websites, and an unfair one at that.

While it sounds that the ICM Registry has good intensions, it is a clearly
money driven proposal. ICM has no support in the adult webmaster community -
the responsile part of our community fully supports self regulation, but we
don't want to be regulated by outside companies, with no relations to our
community.

I also feel that .xxx won't be a success also because of the surprisingly
high cost ($75 per domain) of the proposed .xxx domains. It will not help
parents to protect their children, if anything, it will give them a false
security. The majority of adult webmasters won't abandon their current .com
and ..net domains to move to .xxx - in fact .xxx domains will be mostly
registered by domain speculators and by companies wanting to protect their
trademarks.

Overall, .xxx won't accomplish anything and it's a clearly bad proposal,
with no support at all from the adult webmasters community.

In the same manner that adults do not allow their children to enter porn
movie theaters or cruise the red light district, parents need to be more
vigilant about what their children do online.  Children face huge risks not
from porn, but from predators that prey on them in supposedly safe chat
rooms, discussion areas, and social websites like myspace and facebook.  If
a proposal would be made to protect children, it might be more along the
line of creating a .SOC for social networking sites. that would truly help
to protect the children.

The internet is an adult medium, in the same manner that the real world is
an adult world.  Responsible parents wouldn't turn their children
unprotected into a strange remote city, so why should they not take the time
to make sure their children are safe online as well?   Punishing honest
business people because parents are unable to assume their responsiblities
is a crime.

Alex Henderson