ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Important concerns regarding .XXX TLD's

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Important concerns regarding .XXX TLD's
  • From: "Krypton Associates" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 00:52:21 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I'm very conerned over the recent discussion concerning the creation of
adult-designated top-level domains (TLDs). My company has approximately 900
domains currently registered, and the majority of them are .COM domains. I
strongly oppose the creation of any .XXX top-level domain (TLD).

Other than to make a few people wealthy at the VERY LARGE and burdensome
expense of many, there is NO legitimate or compelling reason to establish such
a TLD. Benefits accrued to webmasters who purchase .XXX domains will be far
outweighed by the potential of both domestic and foreign governmental and
non-governmental entities imposing unacceptable restrictions on lawful
constitutional speech.

I urge ICANN to take advantage of opportunities presented by the Commerce
Department and rescind any earlier decision to approve ICM Registry's
application to establish and run the above-mentioned TLD. I strongly oppose any
attempt by Stuart Lawley and his company ICM to have .XXX accepted and
implemented by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). Mr.
Lawley and his company stand to make millions from this deal at the expense of
the adult entertainment industry.

I am very concerned about the fact that as a responsible member of the
internet's adult entertainment industry, I would not likley have a sufficient
enough voice on the IFFOR Board of Directors, which would be setting all
policies for the TLD. These policies would be established and enforced by
people who do not have the best interests of this industry in mind and may in
fact be personally hostile to it, thereby increasing the liklihood of potential
injustice.

The best idea to solve the problem of making material unsuited to viewing by
minors unavailable to them is to create a content-positive .KID TLD. Rather
than herding protected speech into a 'virtual ghetto', a .KID TLD should be
created where children can find child-friendly websites. This would be far
greater for society as a whole and much simpler. Protecting children will be
much easier for parents and all interested parties. The creation of a .KID
top-level domain will have far geater success in filtering out adult content.
With the creation of a .KID TLD, there will be no risk of censorship, and
minors will have a safe place of their own to explore the internet.

I respectfully request that you consider giving children a place of their own
online instead of supporting what could become the banishing and ostracism of
free speech.

Thank you very much for your attention and anticipated consideration in this
matter.

Sincerely,
Leah Blouin
Admin Executive