ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-guide]

Economic "Study" Phase II does not make the case for new TLDs - ICANN and authors should be ashamed to present this "work" to the public

  • To: 5gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Economic "Study" Phase II does not make the case for new TLDs - ICANN and authors should be ashamed to present this "work" to the public
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:11:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I see that ICANN has posted Phase II of the "Economic Study" of new TLDs:

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-03dec10-en.htm

It leaves much to be desired. First of all, ICANN once again obfuscates the
fact that this was not some peer-reviewed high quality independent study.
Rather, it is another paid report commissioned from Compass Lexecon, the same
authors of the "Carlton" report which was widely mocked. I pointed this out at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/economic-framework/msg00001.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/economic-framework/msg00002.html

and the distinguished KC Claffy of CAIDA (a member of the ICANN Security
And Stability Advisory Committee) even noted:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/economic-framework/msg00004.html

"Like the Carlton report, the authors still seem to think one way to "evaluate"
concerns raised by others is to dismiss them without further study.  George
Kirikos observed one reason for the similarity between the two reports -- there
was overlap in authorship. Despite the loud complaints that the
previous report was not sufficiently objective, ICANN commissioned a second
report that was ultimately co-authored by the same company as the first report,
a fact hidden by ICANN's emphasis on only the Stanford and Berkeley co-authors
in the report's description on the ICANN web site."

As noted in the metadata of the new PDF that ICANN has just posted, the
"author"
was once again Teresa Sullivan of Compass Lexecon.

Even though it has been more than 4 months since the end of the Phase I paper
comment period has concluded, ICANN has failed to provide a summary or analysis
of the past comments:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/economic-framework/

Important comments, including KC Claffy's note that:

"...the ICANN-commissioned report, despite having academic authors, seems to
eschew scholarship, by failing to cite related  work and how it compares to the
authors' own results, and avoiding  discussion of (or discounting) empirical
data that sheds doubt on  the wisdom of what ICANN has made clear it plans to

do anyway."

"....ICANN's behavior looks like it's trying to buy rubberstamps of its
current plans from commercial consultants, rather than foster what is needed in
the long term: a coherent field of objective, peer-reviewed technical, policy,
and economic research on Internet naming and numbering, and incentivized
data-sharing to support such research."

I'll note once again, KC Claffy is on ICANN SSAC. Why is ICANN not summarizing
and analyzing comments even from those who are considered "highly trusted"
within the ICANN community to be in SSAC??!!??

Now, on to the latest "paper". Briefly, it is junk, and mere intellectual
masturbation. It once again lacks any empirical rigour. It also ignores what
the
Department of Commerce letter of 2008 *told* ICANN to study:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/comments/2008/ICANN_081218.pdf

Take a look at PAGE 1 of that PDF!! Where is the work about whether the domain
registration market is one market or separate markets? Where is the work about
substitutability? Where is the work about switching costs? And so on? Is ICANN
trying to pull a fast one on the public, by not even instructing its paid

consultants to do the right study?? Everyone should read the ENTIRE PDF from
2008. It was very detailed. Everyone should read the original comments to the
Carlton reports and to the Phase I report (not the staff summaries). There were
detailed submissions, and once again ICANN and its paid consultants have failed

to do the proper analysis. I posed very specific questions that would directly
test "switching costs", even offering to directly purchase the ICANN.org domain
name, in order to bring out ICANN's own "switching costs." ICANN ignored these
tests, because they are simple and easy to replicate. If ICANN would refuse an
offer of $10,000 for the ICANN.org domain name, clearly it's because their
switching costs exceed $10,000. Ask the same question of Fortune 500 companies,
or even a broad range of domain registrants, and one could quickly realize that
actual switching costs for domain names are very high. The authors have failed
to study why .com prices charged by VeriSign are substantially higher than the
sub-$1.50/yr price tariff charged by SMS800.com for toll-free numbers. A
scholarly study would have taken on those important questions about market
structure and competition.

The authors have not even attempted to perform a true study of the AFTERMARKET
for domain names. How can one call this a serious piece of work when there's no
single reference to transactions like Fund.com for $10 million, Sex.com for $13
million, or those for new TLDs, etc., to discuss switching costs,
substitutability, etc. The flowers.mobi transaction at $200,000 was mentioned,
from 2007, but the more recent re-auction for $6,500 was NOT mentioned,

http://www.webmasterworld.com/domain_names/4219021.htm
http://www.ricklatona.com/2010/09/10/rick-schwartz-to-auction-flowers-mobi-at-no-reserve-at-t-r-a-f-f-i-c-miami/

which would demonstrate the typical "hype-bust" cycle that the public suffers
due to new TLDs. Many of the "showcase" sites linked to from mTLD's own sites
are currently dead zombie sites. The authors did not even attempt to study
.jobs, .travel or other new TLDs. All they did was preliminary partial survey
work, brief "case studies" that an undergraduate might get a 'C' for, not real
work that should determine outcomes of imporant policy questions in the real
world.

They make only anecdotal references to a handful of transactions, rather than
doing a *systematic* study of ALL reported transactions. That's the difference
between a casual "survey" paper and real original research that is rigorous.
The
data *is* available (e.g. DNJournal.com and other sources have years worth of
transactions). But, it appears the authors were rushing to slap together
something, anything, that ICANN can "claim" is supportive of the new TLD
process. Perhaps ICANN was counting on an assumption that a last minute
publication would be "overlooked" or "ignored". That assumption is incorrect.

It's hard to believe that people are actually getting paid for this "work",
but as stated above, it's merely an attempt to justify a pre-determined
decision
(like a study commissioned in support of litigation, to support a specific
"Point of View"), rather than being true scholarly research. It's kabuki
theater at best. The authors do not even "take on" the important comments by
Tim
Berners-Lee!

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/TLD
http://forum.icann.org/lists/competition-pricing-prelim/msg00016.html

Read the title "New Top Level Domains Considered Harmful" (note, .xxx and
.mobi were *examples*, but the document applied to ALL new TLDs). How could it
have been more direct? The document even went into the economics of the matter.
What did ICANN do? It ignored these warnings, as it does again in the present!
One  would think that ICANN would have learned its lesson. A rational
and responsible organization would have learned from its mistakes. However,
ICANN seeks to  repeat the mistakes of the past, and indeed to SURPASS and
EXCEED those  mistakes.

The number of matches for "Berner" in the latest "work" = ZERO! How can this be
considered quality research when it failed to analyze past important documents?
It mentioned the "Device Independence" document of the W3 in a footnote, but
failed to refute the broader and more important work by the W3 above.

The "empirical" work, if you can call it that, is hilarious to read. These are
supposed to be papers by EXPERTS, not newbies. Paragraph 17 (page 9) talks
about
a "non-random sample of five generic words." You *must* be kidding. Is that a
statistically significant sample? Where did these authors study statistics?? I
really want to know. Five words. Not even "random". This is basic "anecdotal"
hand waving work, not anything experts would call "empirical" work. Empirical
work means writing tools to download the entire zone file. Domain experts do
this on a DAILY basis. Heck, for under $300 the authors could have bought a
copy
of the software at www.domainresearchtools.com !! Did they? Of course not --
yet, we'll see in ICANN's Form 990 that the public likely got billed hundreds
of
thousands of dollars again for this "work." ICANN, and the authors, should be
ashamed at wasting the money of the public. They could have easily downloaded
the entire universe of domain names (zone files are public, after all). They
did
not. They could have consulted with experts like myself who made comments, and
were open to following up. They did not. They did not even reference the Phase
comments that were made. This is true garbage in terms of statistical work (I
did Ph.D. studies in econometrics as part of my Economics graduate, although I
did not complete a dissertation; I have published peer reviewed papers, as
noted
elsewhere (use Google Scholar to look me up)).. "Non-random" is another way of
saying "biased" and "pre-selected", which actually *is* consistent with the
nature of the work. This is not rigorous, valid and independent research.

Ultimately, the authors themselves come to the "conclusion" that net benefits
are "uncertain". They speak of "potential." They completely lack empirical
basis, and are simply engaging in "hand waving" that wouldn't be acceptable at
graduate school seminar (or even undergraduate, for that matter). That's not
good enough to proceed with new TLDs. ICANN has failed to demonstrate it has
met
the high standards of the Affirmation of Commitments. What matters is the net
benefit to the *public*, and this needs to *exclude* the benefit to registry
operators themselves. You can't rob Peter to pay Paul, and call that
"innovation."

The authors throw around buzz words like "principle of revealed preference" to
attempt to pretend that there is deep underlying scholarly understanding behind
their work. Ultimately, though, they failed to do the real work. They could
have
done proper statistical tests, the systematic study of the entire universe of
domain names (zone files, hello??) broad surveys of real domain name
participants/registrants, but instead did not do the proper work. They could
have studied *actual* preferences, via real world data. They could call up
Amazon.com, and ask them what it would cost for them to switch to a different
domain name. Did they? Of course not.

Similar to the "benefits" section of the paper, the "costs" work was a joke. It
was a series of anecdotes, without reference to rigorous real world data. Ask
Verizon or Microsoft or any company why they own tens of thousands of domain
names (99% of which are *defensive* registrations). Oh, I forgot, it was the
*job* of these authors to ask them, but they didn't. Ooops. They could have
bought a membership in DomainTools.com and used the Typo Generator to quickly
see the extent of cybersquatting. Of course, instead of spending under $400,
they instead relied on their "anecdotes", as if that is sufficient. The authors
failed to reference the Tim Berners-Lee paper at all, which directly discussed
the "costs" of new TLDs. It's not just TM owners who lose from new TLDs, the
damage is far more widespread than that. Actual UDRP cases are insufficient to
study the extent of costs. Actual sunrises are insufficient. There is "death by
a thousand cuts", where there is too much small scale cybersquatting to pursue
efficiently in the legal system. There are also court cases (available via
PACER) that have not been discussed. e.g. Verizon vs. iREIT, the numerous cases
by Microsoft, etc. The authors have not discussed the apparent cybersquatting
activities of affiliates to large registrars such as GoDaddy and eNom that I
discussed in previous comments. The authors have not discussed domain tasting,
or how vertical integration would enable registries to misuse data to
efficiently re-engage in those activities for themselves.

In conclusion, it's check-mate, game over. ICANN needs to abandon this project
once and for all. It has wasted millions of dollars of the public's money. It's
time to move on to more important work, like DNSSEC, IPv6, increasing domain
name security for registrants, and lowering costs to consumers through a tender
process for operation of the .com registry. These should be ICANN's priorities.
We look forward  to a sizable reduction in ICANN staff, and a scaling back of
the organization in line with what DOC will agree should be the true priorities
of the organization.

A proper study would have said "the benefits of new TLDs" would be $X billion,
and the costs would be "$Y billion" and would allocate those costs to various
parties (consumers, registrars, registries, etc.). The number of new TLDs would
have been discussed (rather than "unlimited" or "1,000/year"). The lack of any
financial numbers of this nature, or even an *attempt* to get to those numbers,
tell us that the study was completely worthless. Actually, less than worthless,
as the community probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for this
"consulting work" by these non-experts.

I leave ICANN with two questions, as a direct test of "switching costs",
something which was supposed to be studied, but was not. I am prepared to offer
$10,000 for the ICANN.org domain name. Does ICANN accept this offer? (if it
does
not, then obviously the switching costs exceed $10,000). If $10,000 is not
acceptable, name the price. Similarly, I offer $10,000 for the currently
reserved domain name "Example.com". ICANN can accept my offer, and take all
appropriate steps to unreserve it, and reserve an alternate domain name,
rewriting the RFCs, etc. If the $10,000 offer is not accepted, please explain
why, with direct reference to the size of those "switching costs."

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
President
Leap of Faith Financial Services Inc.