ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Analysis of .coop, .museum, and .aero renewals

  • To: "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Analysis of .coop, .museum, and .aero renewals
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Dec 2005 21:07:28 -0500

> Yes, and I thought the application fees were supposed to cover
> ICANN's evaluation and negotiation costs.  The ongoing oversight
> costs to ICANN for a TLD should be negligible, especially if it has
> few registrants.

Maybe, maybe not.  Consider the name speculation mess in .pro.

Oversight of an unsponsored TLD where anyone can sign up should be easy.

Sponsored TLDs are turning out to be painful, partly in case the sponsor
doesn't enforce the rules, partly because they all find out that nobody
wants to register and they come back and ask for special treatment to make
it easier, or relax the rules, or whatever.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"I shook hands with Senators Dole and Inouye," said Tom, disarmingly.