ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors

  • To: Annette Muehlberg <annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:43:04 +0100

Il giorno dom, 29/01/2006 alle 17.21 +0100, Annette Muehlberg ha
scritto:
> Vittorio,
> this is really a very strange approach to start a regional at-large
> organisation. Though I do not think your intention is to establish a
> closed shop, I reckon that this will be the outcome of that structure.

I still don't get how it can become a closed shop, since organizations
will still be able to apply as they could for the last 2+ years, and get
immediate representation on the EURALO Council; and moreover,
individuals will finally be able to participate directly as well. In the
draft, there even are provisions to defer the first appointment of the
two ALAC members until there has been some time for individuals to sign
up...
So if there are people or organizations that want to participate, they
can join the public consultation now, and/or (if orgs) join as ALS now,
and/or join just after the EURALO is established.
The only thing that would be unacceptable for me would be delaying the
process even more, after three years, to involve these supposed entities
that are eager to participate but haven't showed up in three years but
would get upset and feel excluded if we proceed now. I really don't see
why we should spend more time waiting.